Wednesday 19 December 2012

Recipe: Perfect Mashed Rutabaga (with Carrots)

We recently ate the traditional Norwegian pinnekjøtt dinner, which we eat a week or so before Christmas (because we like to have something else on Christmas Day).  Every year we make mashed rutabegas (kålrotstappe) and every year they just don't work out.  Until this one.  I read several recipes and decided to try something a little new, that was (harhar) a mashup of several other recipes.  I started with one and a half rutabagas, 3 carrots, and a beef bouillion cube in a pot:


This boiled happily away until the veggies were soft, about 45 minutes or so.  I then drained them and dumped the lot into my KitchenAid, and added about 2 tablespoons of butter and about 150 milliliters of lactose-free cream.  And it was divine.  DIVINE!  I wish I had gotten a picture of the mash alone, but I forgot so here is the whole dinner with the mash off to the side.


We'll be making our mash this way from now on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment